Saturday, April 14, 2012

Beginnings

Over spring break I received an e-mail from the University of Southern Indiana Teacher Education Department where I am in the final phases of the elementary education program. It said there was a Global Internship for India being conducted through the University and that it was accepting applications for this summer if anyone was interested. I paused, thought, "Well that would be just crazy" but continued to stare at the email. After a moment of grinning in childish delight, and challenging myself inwardly I began the essays. Three essays, a formal application, and an interview later I am heading to India to be part of this incredible program. I can't quite believe this has happened and feel incredibly blessed to have this opportunity. It's all been a blur, but I get more excited by the day! There are so many great reasons why this trip is so exciting for me beyond visiting such a magical place. I am going to get to meet a great team of people who are in India working on a community empowerment model, train under this program, and have a chance to work with and learn from the people of India. Also, I get the chance to work with three other students from U.S.I. that have been chosen for the program that I likely would not have met otherwise. When I come home, I will begin the last phase of the teacher education program...student teaching. My hope is that I can bring these experiences and life lessons back into the classroom to not just enrich my student's lives, but the community as a whole. I don't know a lot about the program yet, but should be going through an orientation at the end of the semester...then we head out on May 26th and return June 26th! I will be posting pictures, stories, and information here as often as I am able throughout the whole process. If you have any questions or comments please feel free to leave them here, and I will do my best to answer promptly. Wish me luck! :)

3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to hearing all about it! We are so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Greg!! It's getting more exciting by the minute!

    ReplyDelete